Part 2 - Getting Started
The following section is a brief guide to getting up and running.
Setup of the Pegasus Touch usually takes less than 10 minutes, but there are a few things to take care of before it arrives:
- Install RetinaCreate software.
- Prepare your work area.
- Purchase 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) for cleaning of parts.
- Purchase protective gloves. Disposable Nitrile Gloves work well.
- Purchase cleaning and removal tools.
- Save the box and packaging! It is necessary for shipping if your unit requires repair or warranty service.
- Your Pegasus Touch Printer needs to be in an air conditioned room. Extreme temperatures may cause the printer to not perform as designed.
Once your Pegasus Touch has arrived and you have removed the unit from the box (see FSL3D Video Tutorial - Pegasus Unboxing), you will need to do the following to prepare the machine (wire cutters or scissors required):
- Remove all wrapping and packaging material from the exterior.
- If your model has zip ties, cut the zip tie restraining the vat holder (some units have two Phillips retaining screws holding the vat holder instead of zip ties and these should be removed).
- Inspect the interior and exterior of the printer for damage.
Parts and Accessories
The Pegasus Touch includes the following parts and accessories. Some parts for the printer are shipped separately. These include the Build Platform, Power Cable, Ethernet Cable and Starter Resin. If anything is missing, please email support.
|Pegasus Touch 3D printer||1 pc|
|Build Platform with Thumbscrew||1 set|
|Resin tray (VAT)||1 pc|
|Power cable||1 pc|
|Ethernet cable||1 pc|
|500mL Starter Resin||1 bottle|
Additional Recommended Tools
FSL3D recommends the purchase of a number of tools for removing prints from the build plate, cleaning prints and filtering resin. Some of these tools are sharp and may pose a danger if used improperly. The resin may be slippery so it is important to be aware of your grip and directions of motion when removing parts from the build plate. Always take care when removing parts from the build platform and handle tools in a safe manner.
FSL3D recommends the purchase of the following additional accessories for print finishing available at Amazon and other suppliers.
- Nitrile or dishwasher gloves, e.g. Nitrile Gloves or Amazon B004E3LN96.
- 9.5”x14.5" Wide Cutting Board, e.g. Amazon B007SJV0XC.
- Steel paint scraper as a chisel, e.g. Amazon B000VOK13Q.
- Flush cutters, e.g. Amazon B000IBSFAI.
- Rubber mallet (to tap the steel paint scraper), e.g. Amazon B00KX4KB5Mor Amazon B000FPDJYO.
- 1-2L glass container for soaking finished parts in IPA, e.g. Amazon B0000CFG5I.
- 2.5 ounce spray bottle, e.g. Amazon B000NIY7QM.
- Tongs, e.g. Amazon B00004OCK1.
- Tweezers, e.g. Amazon B00BG8WW2Y.
Make sure that your printer is on a level surface, away from direct sunlight, and in a temperature-controlled location. After removing all accessories from the interior of the machine and ensuring it is clean, it is time to connect to your machine.
- Connect the Ethernet port of the machine to a free port on your internet router using the supplied Ethernet cable.
- Ethernet is the preferred interface, but USB PC connection (requires mini B-USB cable, not supplied) and WiFi (requires dongle, not supplied) are also supported. You may also load jobs via USB key. Refer to instructions at the FSL3D User Forums page for more information.
- Plug the power adapter into a convenient mains power outlet.
- Plug the DC barrel connector into the power port on the machine.
- The machine should boot within 90 seconds.
The Pegasus Touch can get print data from one of five sources:
- Over Ethernet from the RetinaCreate job preparation and machine management software.
- From a USB flash drive.
- Over WiFi (requires optional WiFi Adapter. Please refer to approved adapter list in Appendix A: Supported WiFi Adapters).
- Over USB cable (requires mini B-USB cable, not supplied, e.g. Amazon B001TH7GUK).
- Directly from the FSL3D Model Marketplace.
Build Tray (Vat) Reference Drawing
- Never remove the vat without first removing the build head. Without the vat in place, resin may drip onto the internal components of the printer. Pull the tray horizontally to remove.
- Push back on the vat to return to the printer until you feel the click.
- Perform the next few steps before filling vat with resin.
- Be sure the vat is clean and that all plastic protective film has been removed.
- Refer to the FSL3D Video Tutorials page and level the build plate to the vat.
- To set the home position, refer to the same video at the FSL3D Video Tutorials page.
- Pour resin into the tank. Only fill vat up to the min. fill line. Use only FSL3D approved resin. Otherwise, your machine may be damaged and warranty voided. In addition, the RetinaCreate software license is valid only with use with materials from FSL3D or approved partners.
- After 10cm of printing, pause your job and fill the vat up to the maximum fill line.
- Be careful not to exceed the maximum fill line to avoid spillage while printing.
- If more resin is needed while printing, you may always pause the printer and add more resin. Press the pause button on the LCD screen or simply open the lid to pause the print.
- Do not clean the vat with isopropyl alcohol or any other chemicals. Doing so may crack the vat. Wipe it clean only with paper towels.
- Always place a 9.5”x14.5” cutting board over the vat before removing the build platform to avoid resin drips over the front of the machine.
- To remove the build platform, loosen the large thumbscrew enough so the build head slides out. It is not necessary to fully remove the hand screw. Apply a downward pressure to slide the build plate out.
- Always make sure to remove the platform before the resin tray to avoid the resin dripping into the printer.
Please double check the list below before you proceed to next steps.
- Are all tapes and films removed from all the printer parts?
- Is the resin tray and the build platform securely installed?
- Is the resin filled below the maximum fill line?
- Is the printer well connected to the power outlet?
- Is the printer connected to your computer with the Ethernet cable, USB cable or Wifi?
RetinaCreate Software Installation
Download the latest software from the FSL3D Downloads page and follow the onscreen instructions. Ensure you read, understand and agree to the terms in the End User Licensing Agreement. Remember that the RetinaCreate software license is valid only when used with printers and materials from FSL3D or approved partners.
RetinaCreate is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista w/ Service Pack 2
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1